Cathodic protection is a metal protection method. In general, metals are corroded by contact with water or air. This is especially a serious risk for metal pipes in the water or beneath the ground. A large number of protection methods have been developed in order not to corrode the material of these pipes. Cathodic protection methods are used more and more in oil drilling rigs. In addition, cathodic protection is applied to prevent rusting of the surfaces of the vessels.
Cathodic protectionis actually an electrical system. The metal structure to be protected is made into a cathode of an electrochemical cell. In this way, the anodic reactions in the metal surface are stopped. This is achieved by applying an external current in the cathodic direction to the metal.
In short, cathodic protection is a way of protecting metal structures from corrosion by electrochemical means in their environment. This method requires electrical current to control corrosion. As soon as the electric current stops, the metal structure will continue to corrode. That's why, cathodic protection systemIt is necessary to check periodically and to intervene in case of possible fault conditions.
With the help of inspection and test institutions, expert engineers and technicians, cathodic protection inspections and make measurements:
- Pipelines: drinking water, natural gas, waste water, seabed, oil and similar pipelines
- Boats: sea buses, ships, ferries, yachts, submarines, ports, piers, piles, buoys, platforms and similar boats
- Tanks: Underground fuel and LPG and fuel oil, above ground fuel tanks, waste water tanks, drinking water storage tanks and similar tanks
- Water systems: cooling and heating systems, thermosyphons, boiler tanks, steam boilers and similar
According to the Regulation on Health and Safety Conditions in the Use of Work Equipment, issued by the Ministry of Labor and Social Security, cathodic protection inspections and measurements should be carried out at least once a year if no other period is stipulated in other relevant regulations and standards.
According to the Regulation on Health and Safety Conditions in the Use of Equipment, some of the basic standards to be considered during the controls are:
- TS 5141 EN 12954 Cathodic protection - For embedded or submerged metallic structures - General principles and application for pipelines
- TS EN 13636 Cathodic construction of embedded metallic tanks and related piping system
- TS EN ISO 15711 Paints and varnishes - Determination of the resistance of the seawater exposed coatings to cathodic separation
- TS EN ISO 12696 Cathodic protection of steel in concrete
- TS EN 16222 Cathodic protection of ship hulls
- TS EN ISO 13174 Cathodic protection - for port facilities
- TS EN 16299 Cathodic protection of external surfaces on soil storage tank based on contact with soil or base
The TÜRCERT certification body provides certification and training services on the one hand and on the other hand provides specific technical services to the demanding companies. These services include cathodic protection measurements, examinations and other inspection services. You can contact the TÜRCERT certification body for any kind of inspection and test work.